Thursday, April 16, 2009

Will You Be My Friend?...

Late one evening back in high school, a friend came to my door and asked if I'd take a walk with her. She had never asked me for anything like this before and, from the expression on her face, I could tell that she was in need. Some years ago another dear friend showed up on my doorsteps early one rainy day with the same look in her eyes. Other friends call at all hours of the day, night with the same tone in their voice.

They are in need...in need of a friend.

Someone who will listen.
Someone who cares.
Someone who you can lay your woes upon, keeping your secrets safe.

Friends are wonderful people. They sacrifice their time and energies for us, and we do the same for them. Even if miles upon miles separate us we know that, if the friend-symbol is shone up into the sky, they will be there for us in a blink of an eye.

We too have many acquaintances in our lives, people we see during the week and have conversations with. Some may even come to a dinner party or two. And as wonderful as they are, we know and feel the distinction between them and our friends.

A friend is someone that you share a common commitment with. One that binds you to eachother, for better and for wors
t. In the hustle bustle of our busy lives it is difficult to find and secure a real true friendship. So when you have one, it makes it all the more important to nurture it with kindness, respect, and honesty. To be there for eachother. That's a good friend.

"Once you make a friend, a friend never leaves you, even to death.
So a friend is really hard to find."

~ Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA

Once, an Elder told me he made a decision to be my friend. He said this friendship wasn't based on my behavior or how I acted; he said the friendship was based on his decision. He decided to be my friend. This friendship has happened like he said. Even if I don't see him for a long time, or if I get mad at him, he has never changed his decision. This is true friendship.

Great Spirit, I'm glad you are this kind of Friend.


That in green is taken from the book A Cherokee Feast of Days.