Thursday, September 9, 2010

Reading While Writing... Prodigal Summer

When I read, I read for the craft of writing. In my "Reading While Writing" blog posts, I like to talk about what each book and author taught me about the craft. Feel free to follow along and add your own lessons learned :)

My Aunt offered up her copy of Prodigal Summer to someone in the family. After reading the first few pages, this person passed it back. Said it wasn't her thing. Not being the snoopy sort, but seeing books being passed around, I jumped into the conversation and said I was in need of a read. I wanted to try it out. Please, can I have the book. Please, please, please....! ;)

Moth Love. Old Chestnuts. Predators...
I'm so glad I butted in and begged for the book ;) Reading it was like taking a life long walk in the woods... And I've been hankering for a leaf shaded hike. Now I just want to live in the woods and track my passions...

In the pages of Prodigal Summer speaks a deep admiration, understanding and love for all things natural, including the natural cycle of life - sex, creation, life, death - it's how everything comes around and goes around on this wonderful green lovin' Earth ;)

So I loved the book. Wish it didn't end. Want to remain friends with the characters forever...

But what did I learn of the craft while reading it? That a non-formulaic story line can be entertaining and successful and a breath of fresh air! Good writing, good characters, great story, unparalleled in so many respects...

You'll have to read it (if you haven't already) and tell me what you think!