Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pumpkin Muffins...Yummy and Gluten Free :)

At the suggestion of my best cooking buddy Amanda Green at A Whole Lot Of Crock, I made pumpkin muffins this morning...yummy gluten free pumpkin muffins :)

Now, I used to whine and complain when I first had to go gluten free. But now that it's been, what, 2 years? I've found there are so many "alternatives" out there that I really don't miss out. And I say "alternatives" in quotes because let's face it: if we ate a variety of grains - aka, not wheat all the time - do you think we all would be having such a problem with wheat? Like I always say, eat the rainbow everyday...aka, eat a variety of everything, everyday :)

Anyway, back to the muffins...

To make the muffins yummy, EASY, and gluten free, I use Bob's Red Mill GF all-purpose baking flour.  I've been using Bob's Red Mill gluten free flours for years and everything I make, from banana nut bread to, well, bread, turns out great. It's quick, easy, and I use this gluten free flour in place of the wheat flour any recipe asks for. Just like that. Yep, being gluten free is that easy.

I added a sprinkle of sugar crystals on top of the
muffins before I popped them into the oven
.
This recipe asked for King Arthur's GF flour, but I've used it before and I wasn't all that impressed. What I baked felt gritty when we ate it, like there was too much corn meal or something. That, and it wasn't exactly gluten free since I didn't feel all that well after eating what I made... Hence, I use Bob's Red Mill GF flour instead and everything I make with it comes out perfect.

That is, if I follow the recipe...

But I followed the recipe this time, much to my surprise (and I'm sure also to my cooking buddy's surprise when I tell her ;)

Warm out of the oven, they turned out great. Can't wait to surprise the kids with them after school...and my hubby too. The kids can have gluten, but thanks to both their parents having Celiacs, well, they eat gluten free about 80% of the time. That's why I'm glad I've found substitutes for wheat flour that don't short change taste, flavor and that all important YUM factor.

Here's the recipe I followed. I'm only going to post BB original recipes here for my B&B, so, when I am brave enough with baking (and following directions) I'll post my own creative baking recipes!

;)