Thursday, June 19, 2008

The book I HAVE to write first

Have you ever felt compelled to do something? Like something was pulling you in a direction that you may have only day-dreamed about? It's bigger than you. Maybe a calling, if you will. That's how I feel about this book. The book I'm writing right now.

It all started over 4 years ago with a trip to California. I started making notes and yes, hearing the conversations between my characters start in my head. With my first son only 9 months old at the time and being a stay at home mom, I was excited to have time to write and a great idea to start with. Only trouble is, a 9 month old doesn't afford you much time to write! Or be alone to think about plot, timelines, character development. But I'm not blaming the baby here ;) No, it really wasn't time yet to write this book.

The conversations continued over the next 4 years. The plot thickened, changed, took different directions. New characters emerged. It was getting pretty crowded up there! And then it happened. I almost died.

What? Died? Yes. From what, we may never know, since all my test results show that I'm in perfect health (which is great news for me!) However, being rushed off in an ambulance and feeling half dead in the ER at 30 years old, along with other half dead people in their 80's and 90's I realized something. Those people had lived a long and wonderful life, and probably got to do the things they wanted to do...Me, on the other hand, was about to die and had YET to do anything that I really wanted to do. Mainly, write.

It's been a passion, albeit a secretive one, since I was young. Now, with death possibly looking at me, I was determined that if I got out of there I wouldn't let life get in the way of my DOING the things I wanted to do. Namely, write!

So that brings us to THIS story. Why did this story have to be the first book I write? I have plenty of other stories looming and wandering around in my head. However, before I write any of those I know I HAVE to write this one first. Therefore I am. I already have a really good idea coming up fast right behind it, so I better get a move on!

But let me be serious for a moment. This story. THIS story is my story. Although it's women's fiction and most of it IS fiction, the main ingredient is MY TRUE story. It won't NOT let me write about it. It's totally cathartic and necessary.

So, with that said, let me get back to it! I'd love to sit and chat some more, and probably will from time to time :). However, write I must and loving it I am!