Monday, November 23, 2009

My Favorite Darlings...

Ok, so I need somewhere to put my all the darlings I kill. Some I do admit are a waste of time. They need to be offed. However, like this one, I just LOVE IT! And I might still use it somewhere in the novel. But for now, I'd like to share one of my favorite darlings.

Oh, and if you're wondering, a 'darling' is a word, line of words, paragraph, or even a whole chapter that you utterly LOVE! But for reasons beyond your control, they just don't work! Your book will be better for their departure. However...they are your darlings!

I think the massacre is the hardest part of editing. Maybe why many writers stop short of brilliance because they just can't do it. It hurts too much!

This one hurt me a lot! Yet, it had to be done...and done it is. I am forever encasing this lovely darling on my blog so I can come back to it and weep...and maybe find a new place for it. Oh, wouldn't that just be so nice! To resurrect a darling!

Yes. That's why we hold on to them for far too long. Main reason I couldn't edit chapter three was because of this little one.

Staring between the door I came in, a sign adhered to its back labeled exit, and an opposing door with a sign reading office, I feel like running. I want to leave. Then again, I have to stay. Thankfully, I’m alone in the waiting room, free to sweat bullets one second and attempt some form of relaxation the next.


Annoying as it is, I am getting used to this rollercoaster emotional thing: In the three weeks it’s taken me to make the appointment, I’ve traversed between the two extremes more than once.


Rest in peace my lovely words...

:(