Monday, October 7, 2013

Pumpkin Breakfast Scones

Here at the BB B&B I serve breakfast to all my guests. Most of the time there's only a handful of you here. But with the BB Writers Retreat underway and #SaturdayNightReads tomorrow, well, there's quite a few hungry hearts here to feed!

For a hungry crowd, I always serve up seasonal scones. Raspberry Scones when raspberries are plentiful. Hot Cocoa Scones when it's snowing outside. And Pumpkin Scones when the leaves are turning, falling, and pumpkins are all around.

My go to scone recipe comes from my all time favorite baker Amanda Green from A Whole Lot of Crock. In her own words, "this is a recipe I created and have made in thousands of different combinations, depending on my mood, the season, what ingredients I have in the house and, most of all, what sounds really good that morning for breakfast."


Pumpkin Breakfast Scones
  • 2 cups flour (can use gluten free flour)
  • 1/3 cup sugar + a tablespoon
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla bean paste 
  • 1 Tbsp pumpkin spice
  • 6 tbsp softened butter
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • + additional liquid (milk, heavy whipping cream, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk or water)
  1. Mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter.
  2. Add pumpkin and vanilla bean paste. Stir until combined.
  3. Add additional liquid if needed until "just moist". Stir until combined.
  4. Place on baking sheet in mounds for individual scones OR in a one round and score to make "pie" shaped pieces.
  5. Bake @ 425 for 15 minutes.
Enjoy!

:)