Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Love Love... Making Love in a Novel...

Ah, l'amore...

I love love. It's one of my most favorite things in the whole wide world: Love. Attraction. That first kiss...Life would be non-existent without it!

And finally I've gotten back to the point in my novel where it all happens. What do I mean by getting back to it? Well, the 1st draft is written, and I read through it, edited, read through it again, and edited again. Now I'm in the midst of editing it a third time. Once you finish one round of edits, all the way back to the beginning you go...

Now, why would I dread going back to the beginning of my own novel? Quite simply, editing all the bla bla sad story stuff is getting me down in the dumps! It was hard enough writing it the first time!

But sometimes - well, ok, most times - it's essential to have all the bla bla sad story stuff. Without it, what would be the point of conquering all your deamons and coming out of hell a bigger, better, bad ass?

Eleanor Rosevelt eloquently once said, "You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."

The thing I think I cannot do right now is stop blogging and start editing with vengeance! Blogging just so damned fun...

Ok, Lia, focus!

Did I accomplish something today? Yes. I just finished editing chapter 8 and half of chapter 9...Chapter 9 is when they first meet! I stopped at the second blush... ;) I might rearrange the chapters again, putting their first meeting closer to the beginning. I'll see what the 4th round of edits brings about...

My June writing goal is to finish editing at least another eight chapters, if not ten, getting me halfway through. I'll be taking a trip to the actual location - by wonderful chance! - where most of my novel takes place. Good thing too, I haven't been there in five years! Can't write descriptive detail about something - or somewhere- you haven't seen in a while...

My ultimate summer writing goal is to finish editing this 3rd round, edit an additional 4th and 5th round, write that dreaded query letter, and send it off before the last day of summer... An auspicious task, but I think it's doable.

I'll just have to edit first, blog second...

;)